Thursday, August 9, 2007

you're beautiful it's true

So, I think I am balding. I say think because I like to keep my options open. Besides, I’m not sure where the word balding no longer applies and the word bald takes its place. Regardless all signs point toward me losing most, if not all, of my hair. Saying balding makes me feel like I’m not full on bald. So I will continue to say bald, even when I have no hair left on my head.

Set aside the fact that bald people lose all of their hair. The saddest thing about balding is that you join a totally different group of people. There is even a space on your driver’s license that you check if you are bald. Brown hair, black hair, red hair, blonde hair, bald. The word just stands out like, "you’re simply not cool enough to keep your hair so you are in a category all by yourself. BALD! You hairless freak of nature."

The people in above mentioned category are generally: bikers, skin heads, wrestling fans, and random guys who are balding and want to lose their hair on their own terms. Let’s look at famous bald guys. Paul Shafer, Patrick Stewart, Moby, Montel Williams, Billy Zanes, Michael Stipes and Jordon, G Gordon Lidy, Howie Mandell, Samuel L. Jackson, Damon Wayans, Yoda, Willard Scott, Hulk Hogan, Sinead O’ Connor, and that guy from Seinfeld. We are in a class all our own and we have few role models to look up to.

I can complain all I want but this day has been a long time coming. I found a picture of Margie and me when we were dating. There on the top of my head was an easy to spot bald place. One can blame the recent surge in stress level due to my job or moving into a new house. One can blame the elements, maybe hormones. But I personally blame my grandfather.

See the bald gene is passed down from your mother’s side of the family. My granddad on my mom’s side is bald as a new born. Therefore, my hair loss was picked out long before I was created. I was destined to be bald. Sounds more epic than it really is.

After hair growth products, vitamins, chants and rituals have all failed me, I have resigned to the fact that I am simply balding. Going bald- there, I said it. So to avoid the shock of seeing myself one day with some hair and the next with a shaved head, I continue to take my hair down, one notch at a time. A piece of me dies a little with each hair cut.

I am now developing bald man syndrome. I find myself complaining often about how much guys are into their hair these days. Guys go out and buy straightening irons, blow dryers, and hair products. Guys now spend as much time as girls simply fixing their hair. It’s gone to far. In protest, I will continue to shave my head. With every shave I feel as though I am bringing an element of manliness back to the male population. Forget growing your hair long and sweeping your bangs over guys. Let’s let the girls have their hair back and let’s shave our heads with pride.

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

david, you're hilarious. Why no more blogging?

Beth said...

Ummm, I'm just now seeing this and I turned to Aaron and said "David needs to blog more" and he snapped back "Did he finally blog? He hasn't blogged in forever." to which I retorted "No, this one is from August and I'm just now seeing it."

Travesty. You are a fine writer. Go for it.