Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Target Audience

I am so tired of being sold stuff.

It seems like everywhere I turn someone is trying to sell me something. For example, my wife and I purchased our home through a specific mortgage company. That mortgage company then began to send us letters promoting life insurance, health insurance, mortgage insurance, and so on. I got four letters from the company before I even got my first mortgage statement. I called the company to ask a question, they politely answered and then began a sales pitch for some random product they were hocking. AT&T does the same thing. I just want my question answered, that’s it!

Solicitations go beyond mail and phone calls. Shopping centers try to sell stuff even as you are checking out. I can never resist that candy bar as I am checking out. I just cannot. They strategically place items close to the register so you just grab em without thinking. You go into Wal-Mart for Milk and you come out with ice cream, deodorant, sheets, and milk. Sometimes I forget the item I went for, this makes Margie angry.

Every where you turn they are advertising. I go to pump gas and I see two or three advertisements on the pump, the handle, and screen. I went to one gas station that had a mini-TV on the pump showing commercials. The receipt prints out and I get a 5 inch print out of coupons/advertisements. I just wanted gas!

When I purchase something I want to get the product I want and leave. I am so tired of being someone's target audience. The shows I watch or the places I shop all have advertisements that I am suppose to find appealing. We have gotten out of control in my humble opinion.

No comments: