Thursday, June 5, 2008

My Space



What does it mean when the most popular websites are sites to promote ourselves or share our personal information? Sites like Myspace, Facebook, Blogs, truth box, and now Twitter are all sites based around sharing personal information with other people. Does someone care what I ate last, how often I talk to my number 4 myspace friend, or what I am doing right this second? Why is it that we as a society are so fascinated with other people’s lives?

Myspace surveys have to be the biggest waist of time ever.

What's one thing that would instantly make you dislike a person?

What do you do when you need to relax?

Do you believe in Aliens?

What were you doing at 3 AM this morning?

Who cares!

Normally we would have to actually talk with someone for a length of time before we find out what cologne someone wears. Oh, Me? I wear the Usher cologne. I’m kidding but now you are curious as to what cologne I really do wear aren’t you?

Why do we care? Why do we spend a half an hour filling out stupid questionnaires or writing blogs about our romantic trip to anywhere but here?

Is it that our society is craving attention, love and acceptance or maybe reading about other people’s lives give us the opportunity to see how we measure up? How do I compare to everyone else? Isn’t that always the question in the back of all of our minds?

The Truth Box is an interesting addition to the mix. Here we give others the ability to write ANYTHING they want to about us and remain anonymous.

Given enough time I believe that I could find more proof that we are a self-conscious generation of people consumed with what others think about us. Myspace, Facebook, Blogs are simply tools to help us compare and contrast.


We live in an interesting day and time.

No comments: