Thursday, May 15, 2008

Church Planting

Today I spent time with two of Chattanooga’s finest church planters, Damon (Hamilton Life http://www.hamiltonlifechurch.com/) and Dana (Embrace Church http://www.embracechurch.com/).

These guys are pioneers. Church planting is one of the hardest and most frustrating things someone can do. Damon meets in a theater and Dana meets in an art gallery. Both guys have to set up and tear down every week. They pour their heart and soul into their congregation while hoping to budget.

When planting a church you find yourself in a position where completely relying on God is not an option. I have been apart of two church plants in my eight or so years of ministry so I know first hand how tough it is. While in Kentucky my parents put their house up as collateral so the church would be able to get a loan for a building. There were many weeks we didn’t think the bills would get paid. There was even a period of time where the church was unable to pay me full time so I took on a part time job to supplement my income. You do whatever you have to do to keep the doors open because you find yourself so passionate about what God is doing.

I have a high respect for church planters.

If you are ever in Chattanooga check one of these churches out.

No comments: